Winterberry Farm Primitives

This blog is now devoted to gardening with native plants with a focus on those species native to the east coast of the United States. With an MS in Agricultural Science from the University of Delaware and my love of native plants, I hope to help folks see the beauty and necessity of using native plants in your garden instead of exotic plants. Did you know that our native song birds and native insects are disappearing as our local environments continue to change?
For those who come to this page to see my 'Winterberry Farm Primitives' blog can now be found at http://winterberryfarmprimitivesshopblog.blogspot.com/ where I will post new additions to my online antiques shop at http://www.winterberryfarmprimitives.com/ and discuss various subjects about primitive antiques.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Our 'new' little addition!

Hi everyone!
Here is our newest little addition to our collection! I must admit, I am an internet junkie! I love to look at Ebay and other selling sites to see what I can find. I was looking through some of my favorite sites a few weeks ago and saw this little guy just sitting there. It was listed as an antique bookcase and it just had that look that made me say Hmmm.... I bookmarked the page and thought about it for a while - all the time thinking that this little piece of furniture did not look like a bookcase at all. So, of course, I spent a few days researching it and looking at other sites until I realized that I should probably buy it AND I did! We had to go out of state to pick it up and thought that this would be a good little vacation/buying trip for the shop, and off we went. When we got to the antique shop where the little guy was waiting for us, I took one look and told my hubby to pack it up. The owner said that we didn't have to take it if we didn't want it but I said no - it was perfect for our 'books'. We packed it up and headed off to the hotel where we were spending the night. I couldn't wait to get it out of the car, so at the hotel we took it out of the car and gave it a good look. Wow! All original (even with the stain on one of the shelves) with bootjack feet, original red paint and square nails! Even what looks like a couple of rosehead nails! I can't tell you how much I paid but when we went to a friend's antique shop to visit - he wanted to buy it and said he could put up to 4 times the price on it that we paid for it.
What is it really? I would say (and so did my friend) that it is a canning crock bench - too narrow for buckets but just the right size for stoneware canning crocks! I have been told that you don't see very many of these because they are usually found in root cellars or basements where canned goods were stored. They usually fall apart due to age or rotting or other problems associated with standing in a basement or root cellar. So, here it is in our home, not in the basement or root cellar but in our foyer with the first of many old canning crocks sitting on it! I love it! Remember, you don't always have to pay a lot for your antiques, you just need to keep looking to find those hidden treasures!

1 comment:

  1. Hi susan, your blog & ur snap is too outstanding and eye catching, truly like it. you must submit your site for free in this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete