Winterberry Farm Primitives

This blog is now devoted to gardening with native plants with a focus on those species native to the east coast of the United States. With an MS in Agricultural Science from the University of Delaware and my love of native plants, I hope to help folks see the beauty and necessity of using native plants in your garden instead of exotic plants. Did you know that our native song birds and native insects are disappearing as our local environments continue to change?
For those who come to this page to see my 'Winterberry Farm Primitives' blog can now be found at http://winterberryfarmprimitivesshopblog.blogspot.com/ where I will post new additions to my online antiques shop at http://www.winterberryfarmprimitives.com/ and discuss various subjects about primitive antiques.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Round-up and its uses

Good Morning! I just received a great email from someone who is considering "going native" - at least in her back yard and I wanted to get a little more specific about the use of Round-up as a way to clear your yard for new plantings. I am not spouting the use of Round-up nor do I have any affiliation with Monsanto - BUT - I do know that it is an herbicide that gets bound up by the soil particles so it does not run off into our waterways - just don't spray it into any body of water or anywhere near one-a good warning for all herbicides! It becomes inactive in the soil in about two weeks, so you can plant into the area where you sprayed it. There is a form of Round-up that I would not use - it is a formulation that includes diquat. There is another formulation that includes pelargonic acid (a natural plant fatty acid) that burns down the top growth and is what it says: an acid. So is glyphosate - the main active ingredient in Round-up but it works much slower than the pelargonic acid and doesn't burn the foliage. Use this herbicide sparingly and try to reduce spray drift as much as possible. There are other ways to kill off your grass, including mulching the area with newspaper or black plastic - so research what you use and follow all label directions. Remember - use what you are comfortable with - I use Round-up sparingly - but only after researching the product. OK - I feel better now! I don't want y'all to think I am spouting any one way to kill off weeds and grass.
We are all still recovering from my daughter's surprise, spur-of-the-moment wedding to her long-time love, but I will be back to post the next blog soon! Congrats baby girl!!! Be Happy!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You may have trouble with addiction and need info on a suboxone addiction this is a resource that you can trust.

    ReplyDelete