Winterberry Farm Primitives

This blog is now devoted to gardening with native plants with a focus on those species native to the east coast of the United States. With an MS in Agricultural Science from the University of Delaware and my love of native plants, I hope to help folks see the beauty and necessity of using native plants in your garden instead of exotic plants. Did you know that our native song birds and native insects are disappearing as our local environments continue to change?
For those who come to this page to see my 'Winterberry Farm Primitives' blog can now be found at http://winterberryfarmprimitivesshopblog.blogspot.com/ where I will post new additions to my online antiques shop at http://www.winterberryfarmprimitives.com/ and discuss various subjects about primitive antiques.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hard at work!

Hi everyone!
Wow! This last week has been VERY busy! I have been working on my research and somehow I have lost track of time! I can't believe that it is already October 7th! We are leaving on Friday for my husband's high school reunion in Myrtle Beach, SC and will also be buying items for the October update while we are on the trip. My husband did not go to school in Myrtle Beach but at the SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe)high school in Belgium! He finished his senior year in high school in New Jersey, but had spent all of his school years in Belgium and Paris! Several of the people who went to the SHAPE high school back in the 60's and 70's try to meet every three years to touch base and catch up with each other. It should be a blast! I will of course take pics of the reunion and what we did for the rest of the trip.
To get back to what I have been doing for the past week - I have been working hard to get my research back on track and I have a few pictures of where I do my research. This first picture is of the "padwall" area of the main greenhouse at the University of Delaware's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. It is the largest greenhouse in the complex and where I spend a lot of time! The padwall area is the central area in the greenhouse where the cooling pads for the different zones (or rooms) are located. You can see some of the pads on the left of the picture - they are dark brown and are actually corrugated cardboard. When the cooling fans in each zone are on, water is allowed to flow down the pads and the fans draw the water filled air across the zone to cool it down. This next picture shows the zone where I do my work. You can see the big cooling fans on the far side of the glass wall. I work in hydroponics and the long, white plastic troughs are part of the hydroponic system that I use. The work that I am doing is something that has never been tried before with native medicinal plants. You can see a closer picture of the troughs and the small plants in them. There are some brown leaves but that is all part of the research! It's a lot of work and I need to spend even more time working on the project! After some much needed R & R at the reunion and some fun buying things for the October update - it will be back to work and back to blogging on a much more regular basis!
Oh, just to make y'all jealous! If any of you out there germinate your own seeds and try to use either a plastic bag or one of those little plastic container things (actually humidity domes) that you can buy at Lowes or somewhere to keep the humidity high for germination- take a look at my humidity dome! It is an entire greenhouse zone used for seed germination and to root cuttings! There are some perks to being in school!!! Well! That's all for now! I will be taking my laptop with me this weekend so I might be posting some more thoughts from the road!!

No comments:

Post a Comment