Winterberry Farm Primitives

This blog is now devoted to gardening with native plants with a focus on those species native to the east coast of the United States. With an MS in Agricultural Science from the University of Delaware and my love of native plants, I hope to help folks see the beauty and necessity of using native plants in your garden instead of exotic plants. Did you know that our native song birds and native insects are disappearing as our local environments continue to change?
For those who come to this page to see my 'Winterberry Farm Primitives' blog can now be found at http://winterberryfarmprimitivesshopblog.blogspot.com/ where I will post new additions to my online antiques shop at http://www.winterberryfarmprimitives.com/ and discuss various subjects about primitive antiques.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

What a crazy week!


It has been a crazy week here at Winterberry Farm! The Flower Show is over and we are heading out this weekend to do some shopping for my online store, http://www.picturetrail.com/winterberryfarm. My March Update will be Sunday night (March 14th) at 5pm and I have already found some great things for this update! One of the items that I found is this wonderful huge cheese box! Original red paint and you can still see the stenciled information about the cheese and the company on the top! The cheese box once held 'Hearts Delight' round cheese made and distributed by the Scoville-Brown Company of Wellsville, NY. In 1907, the company was bought by Mr. George C. Rosa and the company changed it's name to include the word, Inc, so this box dates from circa 1896-1907. It is a great looking box with a 16" diameter and a height of 8 inches. The box is held together with small tacks or nails not staples. The information on the origin of the box will be included with the box so the lucky buyer can read up on the history of this great old cheese box. Pictures of the items for sale will go on the website by Saturday night or Sunday morning; by 5pm all prices will be added and I will be online to answer questions and take orders.
The Flower Show was great, actually the best I have seen in the last few years. We tried to get more pics of the 'tear down' portion of the show but got there late due to traffic problems and most of the other Miniature Settings folks were already gone! If any of our Flower Show friends have pics of their displays that they would like me to post, please send them to me and I will get them posted as soon as possible! Tear down night is crazy! The exhibitors were given one week to set up AND one night to tear down! Everything had to be out by the next morning so the next event could be set up. To say that you take your life in your hands that night is not an exaggeration! As soon as we all got our boxes out of the Miniature Settings area, they were already tearing down the wall and the area behind it. One thing that I didn't get to post was the display that my husband and dad put together for the Windowbox and Lamppost category. They won second place and I was very proud of them! What do you think? The display was to be filled with plants from the "New World" and they did plants from Brazil. It was wonderful! The plants are all back down at the greenhouse now and Joyce (the great plant deva) is tearing the box and hanging basket apart to pot up the individual plants and to take cutting so we have more for next year. For anyone who thinks that I spelled 'deva' wrong, there are definitely plant 'devas' out there! A plant deva is a faerie who cares for and protects plants. Joyce and I consider ourselves devas and strive to live up to the name. If you are ever in a forest or woods, or even in your own backyard, and you see something out of the corner of your eye but can't quite figure out what it is - you have just seen a plant deva! Consider yourself lucky as they don't let just anyone see them! To possibly see a plant deva, try this method:

Sit in the spot where the cat likes to sit

cross your fingers and toes.

Close your eyes and imagine…

That you're smelling a beautiful rose.

Say under your breath…

“I believe in faeries

I believe in faeries

I believe in faeries”

and see where your vision goes……..

Another reason that I haven't been posting is that I had several doctors' appointments this week! I banged my foot very hard when something fell on it out in our garage (you know, the man area of the house) and a very large goose egg appeared on top of my foot. Hubby made me go to the doc and I had to get x-rays to make sure it wasn't broken. It wasn't broken but I did find out what working in a greenhouse for over 10 years can do to you! Apparently, I have bruised heel syndrome, or fat pad syndrome where the fatty tissue that protects your heel from constant pounding on a hard surface (like on a concrete greenhouse floor). In bruised heel syndrome, that tissue gets squeezed out and up the sides of the heel so you no longer have that protection when you walk. Yuck!! I have had pain off and on for several years in my right heel but it always went away in just a day or two. This time, with the bruise on the top of my foot, I couldn't wear my thick soled sneakers so that heel got very banged up at the Flower Show! Anyway, I have been on bedrest and now that the swelling has gone down on the top of my foot - I can finally wear my sneakers again but this time with a special insert to reduce the possibility of damaging my heel even more! Wow! It has been a difficult week! I have learned my lesson and will make sure that my heel is protected. That's all for now! Next time - the lovely and fragrant Calycanthus floridus and its west coast counterpart, Calycanthus occidentalis.

No comments:

Post a Comment