Winterberry Farm Primitives

This blog is now devoted to gardening with native plants with a focus on those species native to the east coast of the United States. With an MS in Agricultural Science from the University of Delaware and my love of native plants, I hope to help folks see the beauty and necessity of using native plants in your garden instead of exotic plants. Did you know that our native song birds and native insects are disappearing as our local environments continue to change?
For those who come to this page to see my 'Winterberry Farm Primitives' blog can now be found at http://winterberryfarmprimitivesshopblog.blogspot.com/ where I will post new additions to my online antiques shop at http://www.winterberryfarmprimitives.com/ and discuss various subjects about primitive antiques.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Got Your Punkins Yet?

Hi everyone! Well, fall is unofficially here and it is a wonderful change from this year's very hot summer. I don't remember it being this hot since the late '70's when we ran from the air-conditioned house to the air-conditioned car and back again. With the official start of fall just around the corner, it's time to go out and find your punkins for the front porch! My Hydrangea quercifolia (oak-leaf hydrangea) is beginning to change color and it is time to find the punkins!
The guys are doing their perennial Halloween Haunted Woods again this year and they are headed up to Ulster, New York to the Headless Horseman Hayrides and Haunted Houses attraction (http://www.headlesshorseman.com/)to prepare. It is rated #1 in the United States and they are making the first of their yearly 'pilgrimages' to haunted attractions around the country to get them ready for their 'Haunted Woods' here at home! My son, two grandsons, and my nephew are making the trip and staying up their for the weekend to see what else is in the area. They are preparing for a bigger and better attraction themselves here at our house on Halloween night. Here is a picture from last year when they were starting on the garage. Oh boy! This is my favorite time of year (next to early spring when my ephemerals are in flower!) and living here in Delaware, we are close to a lot of historical sites that have evening tours and bonfires in the fall. It's a lot of fun to troop around on tours with lanterns in the brisk, cold evening air - we are even planning to go to Fort Delaware this year for the nighttime ghost tours with the family.
Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I am still hard at work on the research and am crunching numbers to be able to complete my results and conclusions for each experiment.
Tomorrow we are off to Ohio for the Springfield Antique Show and Flea Market this weekend. Can't wait to get there and see what we can find! I will be posting our adventures this weekend with pics of the show - so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment